Ubuntu Domain Servers
Linux Domain Servers on Ubuntu utilize a technology called Samba to facilitate Active Directory Services Like Microsoft Windows. These servers can join an existing Windows or
Linux domain or they can be the main controller. Since Samba is an open source implementation of ADS, there are no licensing fees. This is a perfect controller for a small network
of 50 or less client computers. I have made this to be a drop-in replacement for the original Small Business server which at the time of this posting is unavailable.
Active Directory Services (ADS) is:
- The cornerstone of every Windows domain network and can be used the same way in Linux.
- It stores information about members of the domain, including devices and users, verifies their credentials and defines their access rights.
- The server (or the cluster of servers) running this service is called a domain controller.
- A domain controller is contacted when a user logs into a device or accesses another device across the network.
- Active Directory services rely on or use Domain Services; examples include Group Policy, Encrypting File System, Domain Name Services, Remote Desktop Services, and Email Servers.
Active Directory Services offer:
- Choice of authentication packages. Kerberos, Secure Sockets Layer (SSL), or a combination; for example, establish an SSL channel for encryption and then use Kerberos for authentication.
- Central management of service and resource access by using the users and groups in Active Directory Domain Services.
- Delegation of administration so that central administrators can delegate administrative tasks such as password changing or specific object creation and deletion.
- The Active Directory server uses the same access control mechanisms used on file systems in the Windows operating systems. Thus, the same tools that manage access control on a file system work for Active Directory Domain Services.
- Comprehensive Public Key infrastructure. The Microsoft Certificate Server and Smart Card support are integrated with Active Directory Domain Services to provide Smart Card logon and Certificate management.
I would like the oportunity to help you on your next project.